mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't ride indoors. I hate it. And arms race is a good term for the equipment market.

The Lost Art of Winter Cycling

I bought Minura rollers in the early 90’s, learned how to use them, then promptly stored them for the next two decades. Then I got back into cycling and bought a mag trainer... and used it 3 times. I’ve loaned it out more than I’ve used it...

So the only arms race I have going on is the ever growing number of arrows in my quiver: Full-fendered rando-esque Trek 710 for long road rides, early 80’s MTB with slicks and full coverage fenders for general commuting rain or shine. A studded-tire 2000’s comfort/upright bike for glare ice - that thing is wicked stable! And most recently this decidedly non-C/V acquisition for snow beyond an inch or two (but see if you can spot at least three nods to my C/V passion):

“There’s no such thing as poor weather, just poor clothing choices.”

I appreciate that we all have different life situations. I am lucky to be able to commute nearly everywhere I want to go in any weather. More than half of my yearly mileage (not huge, but over 2600 miles so far) is from commuting. I find that I am much more pleasant in the morning and my stress level drops precipitously on the way home from a tough day when I ride a bike. So I feel completely justified in my arms race.

Cheers to those who find joy riding indoors to keep up with their cycling passion - there sure are a lot of excellent choices these days!