Old 07-31-20, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Regarding blinking, blinking or modulating headlights on motorcycles came into fashion about 10-15 years ago. Anecdotally, they are much more visible. I lead motorcycle tours from time to time and have to keep track of a dozen or more motorcyles in my rear view mirror while I'm riding through traffic. The motorcycles with "modulating" lights are much easier to spot in my mirrors.
I wonder if a single static light might be unconsciously ignored as being something like a reflection. If it changes, it looks very different than a reflection. The double lights of a car are pretty unique (it's not likely they will be confused with a reflection).

If everyone had modulating headlights, then it might be chaos, but I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 5% of motorcycles have modulating headlights, so they benefit from being different.
I suspect one reason flashing rear lights are illegal in Germany is because of the chaos/confusion that would result if there were lots of cyclists with flashing lights.

In the US, cyclists (outside of cities) are rare.

Personally, I do run blinking headlights in the daytime on roads. I try to make sure that it's pointed downward though. Is it legal in my state? I'm not sure. But I ride through some busy places with lots of parallel parking and I need all the help I can get and am willing to risk a ticket in order to be safe.
It doesn't seem flashing front or rear lights bother cops. I think the legality is moot.

Based on the NHTSA study, I may look for fork mounted auxiliary lights to add to my kit.
The NHTSA study seem to show that modulating headlights added the same benefit as low-mounted auxiliary lights. I wonder if having two lights works by making the thing more "odd" looking.

Lastly, if blinking has no effect on conspicuity, why do automobile turn signals blink?
More support for flashing being more conspicuous.