Old 09-23-17, 08:35 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcowboy
Turn the key?? You have a car that you actually insert a key and turn it to start the car?? Haven't had one of those this century. They still make those?
Yup, my 2014 Chevy Equinox has key start. It's the LTZ with sunroof, leather seats etc, sticker was about $37K but I paid about $6K less between incentives, GM emoloyee discount pricing, and a lot of accumulated points on my GM card. Just not worthy of keyless start in GM's eyes apparently. In that model year I would probably have had to moved up to Buick or Cadillac - maybe some of the highest sticker Chevy SUVs or really trimmed out pickups had it.

All of that tech and bells and whistles filter down eventually - or maybe sooner? A couple of months ago I was waiting in a long line to get my car back from service, so I wandered out the door and looked at the low-end compact Chevys - some had better feature than my car, including 5 years of Onstar and 3 years roadside assistance - mine had 2 years Onstar and no roadside assistance. Stickers were like $15-$16 thousand. Surprised me, but I guess that is how they compete.

My boss has the 2014 Cadillac STS (SRS?,SES? -- some such letters) that is the same vehicle/platform - for an extra $14K he got a fancier dash -fake wood grain plastic, a slightly redesigned rear lift-gate roof profile, and keyless start. And a Cadillac emblem instead of Chevrolet.

Of course, extended warranty, tax, various fees, paint and fabric protection brought the total on my Chevy back up to about the sticker price.