View Single Post
Old 10-11-21, 03:45 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Until last year I have always been fit and had not had any serious illnesses to worry about, but this year, my 74th, has been a real downer healthwise, with a prostate cancer diagnosis in January, and a high blood pressure diagnosis in March, now under control. Two months ago, after some chest pains, the doctors found I have a double blockage of electrical signals to my heart. A week ago, after passing out and knocking myself unconscious I was taken to hospital and have now been fitted with a pacemaker because of the heart condition. For the first time in my life I am on a regular prescription for drugs, for the BP.

I felt OK after the cancer diagnosis as it is fairly low grade, being monitored regularly, and not uncommon for a man of my age but the others have really made me feel my age.

I have continued cycling through all this and fully intend to, once I have got over the rest period for the op.
I'm 25 years younger than you, and also never had an illness to worry about, but 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer which at the time had already metastasized to my lymph and spine, and with tumors so large that they collapsed the upper lobe of my left lung for 2 weeks, and got me a stint in the ICU for the first of those two weeks, wondering if I'd ever make it out alive. Then 6 months ago it spread to my brain, with eleven 1-2mm tumors already treated up there with localized radiation. Even with these major setbacks from treatments, meds, and recovery time (rinse/repeat), and the loss of fitness that comes with those setbacks, since my initial diagnosis I've recovered and trained enough to climb up (by bike) Mt Evans in Colorado twice (the highest paved road in North America, and 3rd highest in the world), have done 2-3 imperial centuries, and have ridden about 6,000 miles total since initial diagnosis. I now have the cancer in a management condition taking a single pill every day for the rest of my life. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing!! I just try to keep my spirits up and keep doing as much riding as I can, while I can. The fact you're still riding at 74 means you're way ahead of the curve, and an inspiration to many of us.

Last edited by Riveting; 01-24-22 at 04:01 PM.