Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I looked up the Alaska statute, it only applies to motor vehicles and on two lane roads "outside of an urban area". There is nothing in that law regarding whether or not the lead vehicle is driving below or at the speed limit. This could easily be interpreted as a "right to speed" law, as someone who was driving the speed limit would have to pull over if 5 cars who wanted to exceed it had bunched up behind him.

This statute literally has nothing to do with the type of road in your OP, which is clearly within an urban area, and your "idiot" is not operating a motor vehicle. .
From my post: "...on certain roadways." I am well aware of the roads on which it applies. I am also aware of guiding logic behind the law. It's not at all unlike the keep right except to pass laws. The laws exist to facilitate the efficient movement of traffic. The laws place a burden on slower moving vehicles to take action to keep from becoming a rolling road block.

I fully understand why bicyclists can't duck off the road every time traffic backs up behind them in an urban environment. That is the very reason they shouldn't filter past vehicles that will later be delayed by the cyclist. For a rider to do that, it's discourteous, and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that reality.