Old 07-17-22, 12:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by reroll
Thank you, yet there are a number of important details which I must learn more about. I just now contacted a dealer selling NOS LX FH-M560 7-speed freehub UG/HG bodies and who claims they fit SOME other Shimano hubs, so I asked if his freehub bodies can fit and work on LX FH-M570 hubs and that question is now pending a reply from the dealer. Apparently UG bodies were threaded with two different threads for lockrings but Shimano parts pages include no information about either of those two threads. Then I have other questions about, as you mentioned, seals, cones and other parts where information about them is often confusing, incomplete, wrong or unavailable. And so, this project could take some while to get to grips with.
I'm pretty certain that the dust seal diameters on the 8/9 speed "C" freehub bodies are a smaller diameter. Since the 1st postion 11t cog hangs slightly off the front of the freehub body, the 11t lockring is a smaller diameter and deeper (more threads). I'm not certain that a potential lockring interference with the dust seal drove the smaller diameter, but one issue of just buying a freehub body is not having all the DS pieces to make it work.

I'm always a little leery of blindly buying a freehub body and then hunting down the rest of the stuff. It can be a real pain going through Shimano docs playing mix-n-match trying to find all the compatible bits.

Wheels Mfg does/did offer aftermarket cones, but they seem to be limited to popular hubs that use the same cone. I have been able to find a few cones I needed. Loose Screws sells a few NOS axle assemblies. That is what I did when I swapped out a 7 speed freehub body for an 8 speed body.

But the "hopefully" more foolproof approach, but more expensive especially since NOS stuff is crazy expensive, is to figure out what freehub bodies will work and just buy a complete freehub. Use the existing NDS cone and dust seal and move the DS body, cone, and seal over to the existing hub..

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-17-22 at 12:40 AM.