View Single Post
Old 08-18-22, 03:11 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
This post repeats the mistaken belief that getting infected results in immunity from future infections which it does not. Being vaccinated also does not result in immunity only a less severe reaction that is less likely to require hospitalization or result in death. The Covid viruses are not like measles or polio or tuberculosis where a vacination can confer immunity to infection.
Not so fast. The post described a situation where people were infected with the COVID virus and presumably the predominant virus not more than 5 weeks before my arrival. The studies I've read make it clear that those people who have had and recover from the infection are immune for at least 5 weeks afterward. A minimum of 12 weeks is the number I recall. After that, it appears that you can be infected by even the same variant and certainly new or different variants.

We have been brain washed by the drug and medical industry to believe that there are cure-alls for disease and yet more than 100,000 Americans die each year from the side effects of the drugs they were prescibed and in the recommended doses by their doctors. Add in the 100,000 plus deaths that are nosocomial infections (HAI or healthcare-acquired infections) aquired while in a hospital, it is prudent to avoid risking hospitalization as much as possible.
Every act has risks and rewards. While drugs have the risk of side effects, they also can cure or reduce suffering from disease. My understanding is that the standard for FDA approval is that the benefits outweigh the risks. So long as those risks are understood, I am OK with a system where they can be voluntarily assumed (or rejected, as in your case).

Getting infected with the mistaken belief it confers immunity is needlessly putting ones life at risk as those of family and friends.
I don't remember suggesting or even implying that anyone do that.

I have been on three group tours in the past 10 years and on each of them a participant arrived with an infection as they did not want to miss the trip or lose their deposits. I got exposed and got their virus on each of these trips. After the third time this happened I decided to never go to travel with a group. I would never go on a cruise ship but air travel is nearly as hazardous. Flying to a destination and then being with a group puts on doubly at risk and I cannot see the possible gain as being worth the potential loss.
To each their own. I've toured with lots of people, flown a lot of plane flights, and done a lot of cruises (but no cruises since the pandemic).

I saw a recent study that suggests of those infected, some 58% are asymptomatic to the point where they don't even realize it. And the infectiousness of the virus leads to some bizarre outcomes. I know a guy (unvaccinated, which puts him at extreme risk, IMHO), who DROVE to his mother's funeral to avoid flying. The service was small ... with only 10 people or so. And of those 10, all but him got COVID. Pretty bizarre stuff ...