View Single Post
Old 08-22-22, 12:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers

That's one plausible explanation, so you think that my body continues to digest into the next day and that's what keeps my energy low?
​​​​​​
When I raced many moons ago, I read a book "food for Fitness" (Rodale Press ~1970) that talked extensively about the ease of digestion of various food types. Also that protein, while essential, is not needed beyond a rather small amount in an endurance athlete. That protein is the hardest of the food types to digest. Based on that, I stopped eating meat. Happened upon yogurt and instantly felt so much better than after the milk and cereal I ate my entire life that I stopped all un-cultured milk products. (Not diagnosed but I am certain I'm mildly lactose intolerant.) Tried to limit high protein sources. (That was touch because I live sharp cheddar cheese! But I cut out cheese 7 years ago along with all other diary and instant;y felt much better.) Cut down on salt radically and white sugar entirely also based on that book.

What I found was my recovery after hard rides was far better when I ate easy to digest meals afterwards. Slept better and recovered more after dinner of beans, fresh veggies and whole grains than I ever had eating meat. The low salt meant that on the hot and humid days, I sweated out far less sodium. The very hot races I rode above my class, simply because I slowed less. (And since I had no tolerance at all, white sugar and caffeine were pure drugs. Admit to being guilty of using them in races and on very long, hard rides when I found myself bonking 50 miles from home. (A cup of coffee with two cubes - getting home was easy!)
Likes For 79pmooney: