holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
When I raced many moons ago, I read a book "food for Fitness" (Rodale Press ~1970) that talked extensively about the ease of digestion of various food types. Also that protein, while essential, is not needed beyond a rather small amount in an endurance athlete. That protein is the hardest of the food types to digest. Based on that, I stopped eating meat. Happened upon yogurt and instantly felt so much better than after the milk and cereal I ate my entire life that I stopped all un-cultured milk products. (Not diagnosed but I am certain I'm mildly lactose intolerant.) Tried to limit high protein sources. (That was touch because I live sharp cheddar cheese! But I cut out cheese 7 years ago along with all other diary and instant;y felt much better.) Cut down on salt radically and white sugar entirely also based on that book.

What I found was my recovery after hard rides was far better when I ate easy to digest meals afterwards. Slept better and recovered more after dinner of beans, fresh veggies and whole grains than I ever had eating meat. The low salt meant that on the hot and humid days, I sweated out far less sodium. The very hot races I rode above my class, simply because I slowed less. (And since I had no tolerance at all, white sugar and caffeine were pure drugs. Admit to being guilty of using them in races and on very long, hard rides when I found myself bonking 50 miles from home. (A cup of coffee with two cubes - getting home was easy!)
good advice, i am vegan so i wouldn't attribute that fatigue to what i eat, but the quantity might be a clue. I usually eat a lot when i get back at night.
What was the benefit of cutting out on salt?