View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 11:13 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Seat stays are in place because the UCI dictates what makes a bike frame.
Sorry but what? Seat stays are there because of the UCI? I am baffled by that one.

Triangles are generally regarded as one of the strongest shapes, that is a big reason for seat stays to make a stronger more rigid bike. A bike without seat stays could probably be done but I don't see a benefit at all and I don't know without some crazy chain stays it would be very stable and reliable.

Looking through Rob's site which is always a pleasure because he is such an excellent bicycle builder there is only one adult bike that essentially used a massive downtube and went all the way back everything else had seat stays (there was a balance bike and a bike for a very very short person or child that didn't but much different needs) He did make project right but that had a seat stay. I would think as a custom builder who can build a right handed bike and so other really amazing things would have gotten rid of seat stays it they were not important. He is a private builder and doesn't have to submit that frame to the UCI if he doesn't want. I would think if I were a custom builder and had found the secret to bicycles and it was no seat stays I would build a lot of bikes like that. Unless there is a held belief that the UCI is some sort of Mafia like organization and has put the screws to English (You better put the seat stays on or we will let you swim with the fishes).