urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Just thinking out loud here: Assuming the 2.5mm spacers are to fit a 68mm BB to a crankset designed for frames with 73mm BB shells?
Good question. The manual just shows them as being part of the assembly: one on each side plus a wave washer on the NDS.

Does your crank fit the BB if there were no spacers?
No, because the spindle (incorporated with the crank) is then too long and would have 5mm of play side-to-side.

Just because both spacers were stacked on the NDS, does that necessarily mean the crank isn't centered relative to the frame?
I guess not necessarily, but since it's put together a different way than the manual shows, I assume that's what it's doing.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"the cranks (not OEM) are not centered" with respect to what? A published chain line dimension?
Honestly, just because (A) it's put together differently than in the instructions, and (B) the cranks are a noticeably different distance from the seemingly symmetrical chain stays. I haven't done any string measurements or anything, but seems obvious to me given those two things.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It seems to me that the spacers placed on the non drive side was done to allow better ft shifting and/or chain line. If the spacer was to be relocated to the ND side again will there be small ring/chainstay clearance? If so than that is your likely solution.

For many decades bikes had their crank arms off set to the drive side on purpose and riders didn't die. Andy
Yes, the chainrings clear and the bike works fine that way. My left hip was a little sore after that ride, but that may or may not be related.

Originally Posted by Iride01
So going only by those specs it should have had a 2 piece FSA crank in it. That probably had the correct spindle length. So maybe a previous owner put a different crank and BB in it and didn't quite get the right BB length.

Chain line on the GOSSAMER PRO MODULAR AGX+ is 47mm, I suspect that is different from the original crank which is more like a road cranks 43.5 mm chain line. But I didn't see FSA specs for that.
Yeah, that's what I suspect. Just wasn't sure if there was a way to correct it.