Thread: Behind Bars
View Single Post
Old 05-22-21, 03:41 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm gonna guess... 24 ga copper wire that is used to secure the tape?
And how is the copper wire secured at the ends? I'd be tempted to get out the soldering iron, but the leather tape might not handle it well.

I'll also note that I've got a beloved TA bar cage on the original 38cm wide bars on my Raleigh International, along with an Avocet computer. That doesn't leave much space for the hands on the top of the bars. With two strap-on headlights too.. well, that's extremely cozy!

Steve in Peoria
If I recall, you’ve got the gauge about right. It’s just the regular finish people do with twine. The key is to get wire thick enough to bend and hold its shape but not so thick that it looks clunky. I tried it with thinner wire and it would just unravel. It also helps to have a spool of wire in your hand to have something to grab onto to maintain tension. Loose wire is extremely difficult to work with. The spooled wire I found is much more resistant to oxidation than the loose wire I tried previously is.

The bars would get snug if I left those lights on there all of the time, but they remove easily.