View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 07:40 PM
scubaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by trace
I'd love to buy a better used bike locally but not sure it's possible (I guess fatbikes aren't popular enough to make it into the used bike market ... never see them used.)
I think this depends a lot on where you live! E.g., in Minnesota, they’re everywhere. But yes, they’re somewhat of a niche product, so there are generally fewer of them around. Also, I’m guessing people really like their fat bikes - I sure do - plus I think fat bikes have changed less since they were first introduced than many other categories of bike (and some changes, like Surly’s original offset 135mm rear spacing vs more recent wider and symmetrical rear ends, don’t have a ton of influence on performance for most riders).

You didn’t write anything about how you want to use a fat bike. For snow/sand/mud, I expect people would enjoy riding anything with wide low-pressure tires that fits and stays in adjustment. For single track, in place of a more standard MTB, the details would probably matter more. For my part, I bought a used steel fat bike, and over several years ended up replacing nearly everything on it; although I normally focus on what I weigh much more than what my bike weighs, I ended up reducing my fat bike from 36 to around 30 lbs. But I do ride fat instead of MTB whenever I ride singletrack, not just in winter.