View Single Post
Old 02-27-21, 01:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I'm looking for combinations that aren't offered any more. I can pretty much get there with 8 speed parts but at the minimum I am buying 2 cassettes to get what I'm after.

I'm actually setting setting up a bike to run "8 of 9 on 7", but besides that the rest of my "modern" bikes run 7 speed cassettes. And a man can not live on 11-28t alone.
Someone started a thread recently along this line -- that cassette mix and match is akin to freewheel cog boards of the past, shifting the narrative impulse. I would guess now is the time to stock up raw materials in the form of cassettes with useful cogs, since the makers keep trying to shove more and more cogs back there. FWIW, I am running a SRAM 12-32 7s on one bike, and I really like it, but I'm not currently riding enough to be closely attuned to specific ratios. If I feel out of sorts, I tend to blame it on my legs for now.