ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
Yea', that's what I meant. Wanted something more precise. That's interesting what Shimano said, though. Thanks for sharing that.

There just seems to be so much talk of battery issues with the Di2 system, that knowing the exact number (if it was actually accurate) would have given me a bit of extra comfort, I suppose. Some people say they charge it twice a year, while others complain about the battery draining in a day or two or, at times, even within hours. I wouldn't be surprised if these issues occur with only a small handful of Di2 owners, but there did seem to be some degree of a consistent pattern forming from having researched the topic, which is what led to look into this whole wireless thing.
Originally Posted by Ataylor
Oh, and for the record, in case I haven't been clear, I think it's a really neat tool for those who actually have use for it. I'm not dismissing the unit itself at all. I just don't feel as though it has anything to offer me, personally. I can see how many of the options would add up for the "right" people. Scrolling through your computer or checking your gear ratios, etc, can mean a lot to serious riders (which most definitely is not me), but alas, until I get to a point where these things matter, I personally don't see a point in buying it. That's all I was saying.
FWIW, I ride with many people who use Di2 - none of them have experienced the battery issues that appear in some online complaints. I know that problems happen; I have never seen it. I've had my Di2 bike since November. I ride a fair amount - roughly 1000-1300km each month. I try to charge around the first of every month, though I'll top it off if I'm going to travel or, like tomorrow, I have a big ride planned and don't want to take any chances. I do live in a fairly flat area so I'm not shifting the FD very often, but I've never run out of battery. As the system gets older, I don't expect it to hold a charge as well. That said, if you just get in the habit of charging it the first of every month, you should be good (assuming the system is new).