View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 04:50 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Believe it or not, an Ebay buyer bought this Raleigh from me through the auction format. The bike is an entry level Raleigh Record and very poorly made, to be honest (I am not a Raleigh fan). As I recall, I would have been happy to get $100.00 US for the bike but it sold for $1,225.00 US plus the cost to ship.

I was stunned as I watched two bidders fight it out during the closing minutes of the auction and unsure of what to do. I was, indeed, faced with a dilemma. That said, I honored the deal, accepted the money and, in all honesty, have felt a bit guilty about it ever since. Anyway, this is the bike that fetched way too much auction value. And, for what it is worth, it was this transaction that caused me to publish MY "TEN SPEEDS", a website designed to help other buyers, especially those who did not really understand what they were doing, avoid making such uninformed mistakes...

There is a bit of pay back through another auction. I got a lousy $78.00 for this lovely old Legnano Gran Premo. I have since decided to not participate, as a seller, in auction format transactions anymore. I hated letting the Legnano go for so little cash, but, once again, I honored the deal. $78.00 - good grief...