View Single Post
Old 04-28-21, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Bike shops are not something you want to get into. I love bikes, I love working in a bike shop and I have ideas for my own shop but it is expensive, you will lose a lot of money and you are now having to deal more and more with vendors not controlling who is selling their products and people selling well below MAP.

Working in a shop is very different from owning it you don't have to deal with any of the really important stuff that is usually boring and sometimes terrible. When you are selling or working on a bike you don't have to worry about paying the vendor or dealing with that employee who is always late or dealing with rent or your customer just got hurt on the bike and they want to sue. You just have to sell it and service it and you are done. No tax forums no stress about paying employees no worries about all the backend business stuff. I have managed several shops and done all sorts of different tasks and know a good deal of the backend nowadays just because I have been at my current company for a while and done a fair amount for them. I would not want to deal with most of that stuff. I remember thinking, yeah I want to write the schedule that would be great, I can work when I want to work and then realized it is a f'ing nightmare. Complete f'ing nightmare. I can't work on ever 3rd Tuesdays except on leap years then I can only do the 2nd Tuesdays unless there was a full moon then I can only do Fridays but can't come in till noon. Having to actually deal with the payroll side and employee conflicts and HR stuff holy moly pizza in a cannoli it is crazy.

Good luck if you do it, we always need more shops.