Old 11-22-21, 07:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie62
Lots of good advice it seems that changing to a chainring more suited to a gravel bike might be a good upgrade (48/32 or 46/30). What would be the idea size cassette if I was to upgrade the chainring, also would i need to change my chain ?
It sounds like you are concentrating on climbing. So, lower is better. Start with chainring (or the cassette if you wish). But if you go a lot bigger in the rear, you will need a new derailleur and a chain. You can do the 46/30 and maybe go a little bigger in the rear without changing the chain or derailleur.

None of us need a chain ring bigger than 46.
(I'll give you an exception if you like to sprint to a finish line at 40mph, but that isn't an issue here).

I used to live in a flat part of town and avoid the hilly part. Now I live in the hilly part and love it.
I worked on getting strong cardio, also doing intervals so I could climb better.
Better than changing the bike was me getting a heart rate monitor. I know what my threshold is, and I can climb as long as I want to as long as I keep my heart rate below my threshold.
I'd guess, it would help if you kept your RPM up closer to 100 when climbing.

Originally Posted by Ollie62
Also what does changing to a 1x11 crankset achieve and if I was to go that route what size cassette/chainring would work best. Thank you !
Nothing really. You'll loose that 30 on the chainring, and be stuck with something like 40 (basically splitting the difference between 46/30). 1x is fine for some people in some conditions, but it doesn't really solve anything (it was "invented" to allow designers more freedom with full suspension bikes).

Last edited by chas58; 11-22-21 at 07:40 AM.