View Single Post
Old 08-26-21, 05:49 PM
cstar 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
As an alternative, if you can find a 127mm (or is it 127.5?) Shimano cartridge bearing bb of any variety, I think it will work, although it sounds like you may not want to use a cartridge bb. It's been awhile since I thought about the bb on it, but I have an '83 Centurion Pro Tour with that same (beautiful) Sugino AT triple crankset, and I think a Shimano cartridge bb in 127mm spindle length works great if I remember correctly. My only other comment is that although Shimano cartridge bb's are inexpensive, don't take that to mean they are not extremely durable, no-maintenance, and for some, preferable to even high end cup and cone bb's.
Thank you for a very thoughtful and helpful response from one ProTour owner to another. I really appreciate it !

Yes, as you say and from what I gather a 127.5mm catridge BB with spacers should do the trick. Everything you said is true- the Shimano style cartridge BBs would make a very good solution. I'm not opposed to them in any way, but my bike is 100% early/mid 80s in terms of components so a part of me is really hoping to maintain that. But in lieu of a vintage- Sugino wizard I think you have offered a very practical and functional solution.

Its rolling on some lovely Sansin sealed bearing hubs so add a sealed cartridge BB and what will be left to maintain ?
Likes For cstar: