View Single Post
Old 03-02-14, 08:57 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DubT
Our combined weight is under 300 pounds hence 23 front and 25 rear. When running tube type tires on the front we never had any pinch flats.
Our 295 lb team never suffered a pinch flat blow out with our Continental GP4000S 25 mm tires inflated at 120 psi until we did. Riding over a joint on a freeway overpass at 18 mph. Before I knew it, we went down, albeit quite slowly with just scrapes. Now while descending at 35 mph and hitting a road irregularity I think (and my stoker asks) ---was that a pinch flat? Should I stop to check? I'm more confident that it is not with 28 mm tires.

If 140 lb. UCI cyclists are on 25 mm tires, then a 300 lb. tandem team has no business being on a 23 mm tire. The risk of pinch flat by itself is enough to go wider. If they'll fit, I don't see any drawbacks to 28 mm tires. Doff those 23/25 mm's and don 28 mm's. Once riding these, even if you wanted to return to what you had, your stoker would forbade.

Strava Tandem Club