Thread: Erie Canal Tour
View Single Post
Old 03-17-17, 08:14 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Erie canal thoughts

Originally Posted by spinnaker
I have done part of the route. I will likely never do it again as I was bored out of my mind. I it is basically one long boring ditch.

Only two conditions I would do it again.

1. A supported tour with a historian. I can imagine that would be interesting as I will bet there are a lot of stories to be told about life on the canal.

2. Spend more time in each of the little towns along the way. They truly are wonderful and well worth exploring.
Good suggestions. I rode the entire Buffalo to Albany route with a detour to Niagara falls, Canada side, in 2015. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but as this quoted reply says, it can be boring compared to other bike trails. An organized tour (I rode solo) would probably include interesting commentary from leaders. I,too, would like to return to many of the small towns and spend more time putzing around them. Little towns along the route are very pretty. The trail is very nice and the road sections very safe, with very wide, clean shoulders. Camping options are very limited unless stealth camping or sweet talking property owners into allowing you to camp.