HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Boston Area Ride thoughts for out of towner

Hello Boston.

I'm traveling to Boston from SoCal the weekend of Feb. 3rd and (weather permitting*) would like to do a ride Monday Feb. 5th.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions for nice rides in the area. I'll be in the Allston area and currently planning to rent a hybrid from the folks at BackBay Bicycles ($35 for the day- hell, you can rent a car for that!).

2 years ago I visited Boston and saw many of the sights and may be walking the Freedom Trail again on Tuesday the 6th so riding those areas are not necessarily "must do's" unless highly recommended. Traffic doesn't bother me.

It'd be nice to have a mix of city and rural so I saw this Paul Revere Freedom Ride and thought it might be a good overall ride. It's 40-ish miles and from Allston that'll add another 10+ each way. I’ve seen everything along this route, so it would be a novelty ride for me but am open to other options. I have a GPS unit I can upload routes to.

Would love some company if anyone is interested in joining me. Casual, touring pace.

*Cold weather tips would be helpful. I plan to ride “weather permitting”, but I’m not exactly sure what that means coming from SoCal! I have some layers I’ll be bringing but if the temps are below 40F, not sure how much more I’ll need. The ride above is 40+ miles and that'll mean some time out in the elements. I can tolerate my local commutes down into the low to mid 40’s in shorts and a short sleeve polo shirt, but those are only 15 minutes each way. You can do anything for a short time, it’s the longer exposures that can become problematic. I heat up pretty quickly, so I think I’ll mainly have problems with feet, hands and face/ears.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!