Old 03-11-20, 09:31 AM
fasthair

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I agree that two years probation is ridiculous, but really there's not much comparison between these two cases. In the first case, the driver (possibly drunk) likely did not intend to hit or kill the cyclist. In the other, the psycho dude fully intended to kill that rabbit for whatever reason..
While I agree the dude that killed the rabbit did it with malice and probably needs some metal health care while he is locked up and lets hope he gets it. We do not need a loose cannon like that on the streets because it could very well be a human next time.

The cop on the other hand got a slap on the wrist, even though like you, I'm sure he didn't intend to hit and kill the cyclist. However the fact remains that he did hit and kill the cyclist while possibly drunk (2AM!) and did not stop to render aid. As you said even if it was a "just a deer" any non-drunk/normal person would have stopped to see. This is criminal negligence resulting in death at the least and should have been punished as such. They had all the evidence to prove such and the courts failed this man and his family.

My point of this post however was... contact your state representatives to get laws to passed to make sure these types of crimes are punished accordingly. Join your local/state advocacy groups email list to stay abreast of what is happening with proposed laws so you can add your voice. If no one speaks up your representatives may not care or even know these laws are important.

How much time in prison should the cop have got? I don't know, but 2 years seems like a reasonable start since that is what a rabbits life is worth.

BTW I'm not arguing with you here.
Likes For fasthair: