Old 05-24-20, 07:16 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
On the west coast I am seeing a few cities proposing closing streets, or dramatically slowing the speeds on streets (with barriers) to encourage walking and cycling. Another stated benefit is along streets with restaurants, to permit restaurants to place tables outside, further apart.

Overall, this means slowing and reducing motor traffic in certain areas... and as I mentioned, encouraging cycling.

Are you seeing any such "slow street proposals" in areas other than the west coast? Seattle Forrest mentioned seeing this in Seattle, I am seeing such proposals in San Diego. I wonder if there is any way to incorporate these proposals in a more permanent way. In San Diego, "seeing this in European cities" was mentioned as an example of what is desirable.

Of course, this also means that cyclists cannot ride through such areas at top racing speed... which no doubt, some will find discouraging. Speed limits being discussed for the "slow streets" are at 15MPH.
there’s a petition here to close off two of the four lanes of Franklin Street running through Chapel Hill NC, to allow restaurants to use the entire sidewalk for tables and giving over the outer traffic lanes for pedestrian traffic - no idea if bikes will also use that space. Restaurants are all for it, although other businesses may not be as welcoming, as it would likely do away with current street parking. No one drives fast though town anyway (except maybe in the middle of the night) so I dont see a speed limit making a big difference