Old 07-05-20, 07:28 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I would guess you're already close to your goal. In addition to the fit/comfort issues already mentioned, you have to figure out what foods work best for you on the bike. Your legs will keep working if you keep putting energy in your body. The biggest change for me was learning my body's salt habits. I lose a ton when sweating so I have to plan for it. If you are low on salts and drink more water, you just further dilute what you have in you. I used to bonk after 50 miles, now 100 is no big deal if I'm riding somewhat regularly.
Oh, I lose a ton of water, last year I did a 3 day tour and ended up putting a camelbak bladder into my handlebar bag. It kept me hydrated on the move and kept the water off my body. I'd do something like that, but maybe use a frame bag hanging from the top tube.

Originally Posted by nlerner
In addition to what's already been pointed out, the choice of bike depends on terrain (do you need gears for hills?), need to carry water, overall comfort. I find that on rides longer than 50 miles, I start feeling every imperfection in the road, so wider, supple tires are most welcome on longer rides. When I do centuries or longer, I also plan when I'm going to stop and eat or just chill for a bit, rather than going until I don't feel like going. I used to think the ideal for a century was a brief stop at 25, a longer lunch break at 50, a rest/recovery at 75 miles. My nutrition and fitness have changed, so unless I run out of water, I usually only stop once to eat some food about halfway through a century.
I'm back in Chicago now, at least for the time being, but I like triples. at the very least I'd have a 32/34 tooth bailout on the back.