Old 12-04-20, 01:54 PM
John_E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
Different field, but in my work I find calipers are about the only measurement tool I can actually trust. The starting point on most tapes and rules is iffy enough, but when you get to single-purpose tools similar to chain checkers they can be all over the map. I once paid $80 for a very simple tool (two moving parts and a spring) and it was designed wrong so that it was doomed to be exactly 20% off. . . and had been for the entire 30 years it had been on the market, so I scraped off the scale and calibrated it myself. If you really want a 100% accurate chain wear gauge [Does it really matter? I have no idea], sit down with a file and make one. :-)
I also find digital calipers more accurate than rulers. I am not after a %100 accurate gauge. My question is whether these drop in checkers really measure what they say they do. My suspicion is by design they actually measure significantly less than the advertised %0.5 wear. Did you have any chance to measure one of these checkers ?

Originally Posted by davidad
Pedro's makes a chain checker that is accurate and not too expensive. shimano makes one also but it about 60 bucks.
If you read my post you will see that I am using that exact checker. I measured it to be around %0.35-0.38 instead of %0.5 which is a significant difference, especially if the tool is really laser cut.