Old 12-04-20, 04:52 PM
John_E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
I hadn't, but just did. My caliper reads 5.02545" on a Shimano chain checker, i.e. a little longer than .05% elongation. Now, my understanding is that the checker's end should "fall' between rollers -- not being pressured, which I assume adds a tiny bit of length to the measurement. Bottom line, the checker seems accurate, if a little bit forgiving.

[Edit] actually, not sure at all. I've assumed that I could take the "outside" measurement, without any supporting evidence. Positioning the caliper correctly is difficult/impossible because part of the checker pushes rollers -- so the measurement will depend on how hard you push.
Thank you for trying, ah Shimano's checker is even harder to measure since it is almost impossible to guess where the roller sits on the middle section. Even with Pedro's, which works the same way, it was hard but at least I can take the middle of the curved middle section as the spot where roller supposed to sit.

I think the easiest to measure would be Parktool's CC 3-2 but I lost that thing and don't want to buy another one just to measure the distance. Maybe someone who has Parktool's checker can do that.