Old 04-14-22, 12:34 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ovalized seat tube repair

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on repairing a problem with an ovalized seat tube opening.

I just bought a 1960's PX-10. The previous owner says it had a 26.2 seatpost in it when he bought it. I got just the frame. I was able to get a 26.2 post in, but just barely. However, there are visible gaps on either side of the post.

There was something like plumber's putty filling the slot. You can still see a bit that I haven't cleaned off. I was almost afraid to scrape it off, but it doesn't look to me like it was hiding anything awful.

The gap on the sides is big enough that I can slide a strip of paper between the post and frame -- about half an inch deep on the drive side and at least two and a half inches on the non-drive side (by which point it's beyond the amount of post I have inserted). I think this frame should take a 26.4 post and I'd like to get it back to that if possible, but I'd really like to save the paint, which is original and in very good condition on most of the frame.

I've read various threads on this topic, but I'd like to ask for feedback on my current idea before I proceed. I have this tool:

I bought it at an estate sale without knowing what it was, and I'll never use it for its intended purpose (part of a motocycle wheel balancer). I was thinking I could attach a ~26mm spacer of some kind on one end to keep it centered, insert the spacer and one of the cones into the seat tube, and use something to make an improvised slide hammer to tap the hole back into round. I believe the cones are aluminum. Will that work? If so, how hard can I safely hit it?

Other suggestions? Thanks!