Old 05-13-22, 02:33 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
....I am watching the eBay and CL ads like a hawk but only ones I'd seen were a used no-name set, some new Atomic Novatecs for $56USD for front and rear, new Wheel Master MT-1110 MTB Hubs for $75USD and some Quandos for $70USD which have really bad write ups. The Atomics and the Wheel Masters had ok write ups but are both about a sixth of the cost Phil Woods so I question their longevity.
the novateks aren't no name, they're a well-known, established manufacturer from taiwan. they make zillions of hubs every year, often being rebranded/relabeled. not the quality of phil wood, but good enough for medium-duty touring.

a lot of this stuff is relabeled........ebay has origin8 40H hubs that i believe are rebadged 'formula' hubs.

i've been using novateks for a while for moderate touring.....bike+me (185 lbs)+ about 25-30 pounds of gear. lots of bad weather (monsoons), lots of dirt roads and mud, but nothing extremely technical.

tens of thousands of miles on novateks, had one rear cartridge go out. do carry a spare set of quality cartridge bearings, although not roadside replaceable. you'll need a shop with tools, or make a press with a bit of threaded rod.

for the cassette version, check that the ones you order have the steel freehub body, not the aluminium.