View Single Post
Old 10-26-14, 11:32 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
People who disagree with seatbelts and even mandatory seatbelt use are quite different from people who disagree with mandatory bicycle helmet use.
I wear a seatbelt every time because I have read through all the statistics and am convinced that they make a significant difference. I also am aware that there are many, many variables which are out of my control when I am driving. So seat belts make sense for me. But I am against mandatory seatbelt laws simply because I think people should have complete freedom to do what they want as long as it doesn't do harm to others.

I generally don't wear a helmet while riding because I read through all the statistics and am convinced that bicycle helmets are of very little value. Also, on the bicycle, I am generally able to control most of the variables - if I fall it will almost certainly be my own fault and I will take my lumps if/when it happens. So bicycle helmets generally don't make sense for me. And I am against mandatory bicycle helmet laws for exactly the same reason I am against mandatory seat belt laws.