View Single Post
Old 06-29-22, 02:09 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Don;t think it's a difficult decision for Lefevere , it would be a bitter fruit for him as well as all Belgium (and many faithful), if Cav were to get a win. There really is no comparison, just in the TDF, not considering the cycling pantheon in general. When Merckx is pushed down the podium, it should be by a worthy accomplishment. Sprint wins are fine and dandy, but hardly noteworthy; compared to the range of challenges in all-round rides...
Lefevere can count on his team/train to deliver either Jacobsen or Cav ...
I am impressed by Froomie's persistance and work - I think he's worth cheering on ... and until Woodsie's GC win in Occitanie, Isreal Start-up hasn't had much fun... How ever far Froomie recovers, he's a true and worthy rider in my pantheon of greats.
In any case, The Giro was Awesome! and I'm so stoked for the coming TDF! Between all the young talent and the oldsters still kickin butt, this beats all the Lance years (just in one year) for drama (I'm not crazy about off-bike drama).
Ride On
Yuri
Re the part I've put in bold, my wife is Belgian so I have Belgian family and friends, some avid cyclists. We visit Belgium every year...I like to talk cycling with them.

My sense from last year was that if Cav got the stage record, it would be small potatoes compared to Merckx's palmares generally. His Tour wins far outweigh stage wins for them; there is no real problem with Cav taking that record and Lefevere, if you know him, couldn't give a proverbial for what anyone thinks - he does what he needs to do for his chances of claiming victory. He has committed to Fabio, that has been clear all year. Cav only gets a look-in because he won the British Champs but outside of that, Fabio has been more impressive and he is their future, not Cav.

I say this as a Cav fan and an Englishman.

I agree re Froomey, he is one of the all-time greats. Definitely worth cheering for and we can hope he has one last hurrah.

Likes For AlgarveCycling: