View Single Post
Old 09-09-21, 07:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I Remember Ohlins from my time spent on the BMW foruns, It was highly and widely regarded as an excellent choice. Heard of good things from Marzochhi as well.

This is my first experience with suspension other than Suntour. I didn't like their entry level forks at all. Is the Rockshox Reba a good overall fork? Given that Suntour is my only experience, I find its performance to be excellent.

One day I may switch to a rigid fork, after really mastering the rockshox. Would a chromoly fork be silly on a carbon frame? is carbon on carbon the way to go?

I am looking for something with roughly 480mm ATC (stock 510mm atc, 100mm, 30% sag?) and a similar offset of around 51mm.. I would mainly do it for a longer steerer tube. current is cut to size.

Is it a good idea?

The bike performs absurdly well with the suspension, I have no intention to switch until i get more time in the cockpit, My initial impressions is that the bike requires zero effort to pick up a seriously challenging pace. It challenges you by moving so fast, but its not super involving to maintain good balance and tire grip with the cushiness of suspension and big , good rolling tires. Maybe a bike designed around 27.5" wheels and a rigid could be more exciting on flowing XC trails. But the felt strikes a fantastic overall balance between agile response and sheer stability. I just havent spent enough time with it yet.

Overall, the components are paired exceptionally well. I was able to push my limits on this bike after only two brief sessions doing fast paced but otherwise simple, light downhill singletrack. I just remember maintaining such a high pace with zero effort and feeling extremely in tune with its behaviour. I just want a stem that is slightly longer than 90mm and more than the stock 7 degree rise at the current stack height.

It is the most efficient bike I have ever experienced by far climbing hills. It is now a genuinely welcome challenge. It is equipped with a 26/36 double with a rear 11-42t cassette. I find this gearing to be highly useful for trail use.
I wouldn't go rigid with a steel fork on a crabon frame I would go with a carbon fork (as generally they are set up for a mountain bike and suspension correction) but I would rather just have a suspension fork.

SR Suntour makes an OK fork but they aren't Madea Industries they are a different company. The original SunTour made some great stuff but nothing suspension wise as that really hadn't existed quite yet.