Old 06-14-22, 11:46 AM
jdhutz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TransAm alternatives (Seeking input on route)

I've been productively procrastinating at work for the last couple weeks looking for some alternatives or modifications to the ACA TransAm route. I'm not opposed at all to riding the TransAm as-is, I just figured it could be worthwhile to look at some other options. Some considerations/things I'm keeping in mind with these modifications:
  1. Start date and direction: I would like to go East to West, aiming to start Mid-May/June 2023. Ideally would start in June for work/life reasons.
  2. Would like to keep total mileage equal to or less than the TransAm route (<=4200 miles)
  3. Would be fun to start in NYC since I have family there, and passing through St. Louis for family as well (minor considerations)
With those considerations, here's my "Frankenstein" route I've made:
  • Ride the ACA Chicago to NYC Route from NYC to Indianapolis (~930 mi)
    • Pretty straightforward. Would be curious to hear from anyone else that has ridden this route before. I'd be skipping the southern part of the Appalachians but I would still expect this to be hilly.
  • Ride from Indianapolis to St. Louis (~270 mi)
    • Off any created routes, but seems straightforward enough following Highway 40 most of the way. Besides seeing family, another part of riding to St. Louis is to hook up with the Eastern Express Route
  • Ride the Eastern Express route from St. Louis area to Walden, CO (~1047 mi)
    • This is maybe the biggest unknown. I came across the eastern express route in my research and am really intrigued by it. Would love to hear from others if they've ridden it or sections of it. The Katy trail seems like a nice alternative, but I do hear some people speak really highly of the Ozark's during their TranAm trip. This would also cut significant climbs in CO.
  • Ride the ACA TransAmerica Route from Walden, CO to Oregon (end of trail, ~1800 mi)
Approximate total mileage: 4050 mi.

The way I see it, potential benefits to this route are:
  • Slightly less total mileage than TransAm
  • Likely less elevation (cutting out climbs in Colorado with the Eastern Express, and maybe some climbing in the first section, though it may be just as brutal)
  • Some more rail trails in the busier parts of the country
  • Seeing some cities more personal to me
Potential drawbacks:
  • Mixed feelings on rail trails. I definitely can get bored on them (still low mileage overall though)
  • Missing potential beautiful parts of the Appalachians/Ozarks, and maybe parts of CO?
  • Eastern Express is relatively unvetted
  • Plenty more I imagine
What are your thoughts? Ridden any of these sections? Would you not trade the TransAm for anything? Is June too late to start East -> West? So many questions, but just spitballing here. Appreciate any and all feedback/discussion, thanks!