View Single Post
Old 06-18-17, 01:04 AM
swin1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. I have a Motobecane Grand Record frame that I'm restoring. I'm almost certain it's the 1982/83 version, it has plain Bocama lugs and full chrome fork with Huret dropouts, and bottle cage bosses on both the down tube and seat tube. The fork is French threaded, 25x1, and the bottom bracket is Swiss threaded. The frame weighs 2,100g and the fork only 645g! I have a nice set of Tange Swiss bottom bracket cups and a Tange Levin (Campagnolo copy) French threaded headset. I hope to built it up into a nice bike one day.

I have two questions regarding size and fittings - I thought these frames take a 26.4mm seatpost. I've given the seat tube a thorough clean and the seatpost I have stops completely about 1cm below the insertion line. I think it's actually 26.2 that's needed unless I'm wrong?

The second question, the frame appears to be lower height than normal - The top tube is 58cm c-c, while the seat tube is 57cm c-c and the headtube length is only 148.5mm which seems quite short for a frame this size. The chainstay length is 42.5cm c-c. Is this frame based on older geometry for 27" wheels I wonder? A set of short reach brakes fits perfectly with 27" wheels but are at their limit with 700c wheels. I know they came with 700c wheels in the catalogue.

Any input would be appreciated!