View Single Post
Old 06-26-22, 04:43 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
1. Most posters have no interest in selling on ebay. If they do, that opens up higher values.

2. I have access to Terapeak, which gives a full year of sales history. That $1825 sale is an outlier. Next highest was $865, then $575. That seller also sold a set of Dura Ace 7400 brake levers for $200. Meanwhile, recent sales are about $60.....
Did you ask if they were interested in selling on eBay? Did you mention that it might be worth a lot more? I missed that part if so.

I also have access to Terapeak and you'll notice the $875 is the same bicycle as the $575 (which apparently didn't actually sell earlier in the year) and that the almost total lack of Raleigh Portages in the past year is exactly why they're so hot on the eBay market. I've been watching them for several years and numerous complete bicycles have sold for over $1,000 and as I said, I've even seen a large frameset sell for that much.

I don't think anything I wrote in my initial post here is not reasonable. If you don't know the market for a particular bicycle why would you post in a valuation thread about it?

Originally Posted by clubman
I think we have to stop thinking about bike values in absolutes. Ebay is the last point of reference I would use. This forum is a savvy group of bike geeks....hands up everyone who would pay a grand for a production Raleigh without some special pedigree? Pas de moi.
How about the first and only proper 650b touring rig produced by Raleigh that only show up in good condition on eBay 1-2 times per year during a period when classic 650b bicycles are all the rage? Not enough for you? Well, that's why the people willing to sell on eBay get the big bucks, I guess!

-Gregory