View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 08:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
As a 30-year bike commuter I spend half the year riding home in the dark. Over the years I have worked up a lighting strategy, and what seems like the most successful was adding a bright (but not blinding) 180-degree white flasher on top of my helmet, and a 180-degree red flasher on the rear. THe helmet lights are up high where they can be seen over the hoods and trunks of many vehicles, and through the windows of taller SUVs.

A few years ago I read a discussion on bikeforums about being seen while riding with a low sun behind you, which should be a big concern for bike commuters who tend to ride during sunrises and sunsets. I decided to begin riding with my lights on all the time and I gotta say it has made a huge difference! Once in a wile I will get positive comments from motorists who were excited at how visible I was. Not as many as the 'get off the road' rants though. And none have complained about the helmet light being too bright, although after dark, I have had complaints about my main headlight which is brighter, but not crazy bright, but again, not as many as get of the street rants.
Likes For BobbyG: