View Single Post
Old 01-16-23, 10:32 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Rear brake superfluous ?

I broke a rear wheel spoke a few months ago which put a moderate buckle in my rim. So to get home, I backed off the caliper completely.

I never did get around to re-adjusting the rear brake caliper, and then realised recently this was because I don't miss it in the slightest.

My friend had another cyclist pull out in front of him a while ago and he locked up the rear wheel, slid all over the place and flat spotted and ruined his tyre. Yes I know he should learn to use his brakes, however it is still very easy to lock a rear tyre in a hard stop, with minimal r e t a r d a t i o n occurring from the rear tyre as weight transfers forward.

When I have to do a hard stop, I use the front brake and have never been happy also using the rear.

Using one brake only ( the front ) allows you to concentrate exclusively on moderating that brake lever to maximum effect.

Even in the wet, there seems to be plenty of front tyre grip. Perhaps because the narrow footprint of modern road tyres under load on asphalt cuts through the water layer and prevents aquaplaning.

Are rear brake calipers a vestige from times when front tyres had little grip ?

Does anyone find they have any practical use at all for rear brakes ( on road bikes ) ?

Last edited by redshift1; 01-16-23 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Why is that (common Physics ) word censored ???