Old 09-11-22, 06:53 AM
Groover

Bikes: Sanwa - The Li'l Brown Bear, Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Speedster, Trek Alpha 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Velo Mule (or others):

So to confirm,

1. Any Suburban (Men's or step through) should have a correct direct-swapable: chainring, crank assembly, and either correct 27 inch wheel w/freewheel or at least the freewheel alone could be swapped, derailleur, etc?

2. Are all the Ashtabula crank assemblies swapable (at least among Schwinns)? Seems there are no difference between the sizes on lower headsets among any of the adult Schwinn's? Are there different crank lengths? Will the four leaf clover chainring have the same chainline?

3. Ultimately, if I go looking for a 3-speed S/A hub with wheel, are there any other suspects besides 70 or 71 Suburban? Are there any other 3-speed Schwinn's with 27 inch wheel? If not, would the S/A 3-speed hub swap into this wheel, if I want to take the time to rebuild the wheel (which I would) but will the 5 speed spokes and rim work a 3-speed hub?

Appreciate all the help on this project (good thing I have a few other bikes to ride)