View Single Post
Old 10-17-22, 10:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have been considering which new bike or frame for months and have similar goals as OP. I did not fracture the hip itself but did fracture the greater trochanter leading into it. One thing to know about Canyon is their seat tube angles are steeper than most other manufacturers. In my case, this helps post recover from fracture. Personally, I found their customer service online to be useless because they cannot answer basic dimensional questions, which is important because they won't swap out the stem/bars. The new version of the Ultimate has completely hidden cables/hoses with a very aero cockpit. This new version is not available in the USA yet but the Euros have it. The older version has exposed brake hose, these add a lot of aero drag. The wheels on the Ultimate have narrower rims than on the Endurace (25mm vs 30mm). This means you can run a wider tire on the endurace and still meet the 105 ratio. I think Canyon bikes are really ugly bikes but functionality and price/quality report, they are probably the best. My guess? The Ultimate with hidden cables would be a good bet for you. If you have the money, get the CFR super light carbon frame

Another bike to consider is the Trek Emonda. Light and aero. 15 pounds on the top of the line SLR model and probably 17 pounds on middle range model, the weight difference is trivial. It has hidden cables but they are done in a way that you can swap out the stem. The XL Emonda SLR is a little short on reach for me but with a 140 or 150mm stem, it would work. All of the Canyons have pretty aggressive reach and stacks, so, they should put you into a decent aero position say relative to a Domane or Roubaix that are upright.