View Single Post
Old 11-30-22, 09:18 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've only seen one in person and it remember thinking "wow, what an attractive frame". The one I saw was red and the highly polished aluminum tubes and lugs were very appealing. Have yet to see one come up for sale locally. Maybe they had no dealers in my area in the past.

In order to generate interest and confidence, it might be good to include some history along with the details of the bike itself. Might make a difference to some people unfamiliar with the bike and the concept itself.

1980's - THE GOLDEN YEARS & SEAN KELLY ERA

The 1980s was an iconic era for bike racing as technology rapidly evolved and some of the all-time greats hit their prime. Debuting in 1979 the Vitus 979 frame became one of the most successful racing bikes ever built. Raced by many including Australia's Phil Anderson and Allan Peiper, Ireland's Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche, Britain's Graham Jones, Colombia's Luis Herrera and America's Marianne Mart.

It was of course Sean ‘King’ Kelly that became synonymous with the Vitus brand given his domination of the classics and Grand Tour win at the Vuelta Espania on board the 979, becoming the world's No.1 ranked cyclist of the era. Sean's uncompromising gritty style, all-round ability and powerful sprint earned him the reputation as the hard man of cycling, with many of his wins on board Vitus now an integral part of cycling's folklore.

Vitus were now the world's largest manufacturer of aluminium bicycles and at the fore-font of technology with most rival brands still using steel. During this period Vitus pushed the boundaries of frame construction further by introducing carbon tubing to the bonded 979 frame with the introduction of the Carbon 3, Carbon 7, and finally the Carbone 9 in 1986.
Likes For TugaDude: