Old 02-28-23, 04:01 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Not too stupid at all. Undefined.
Innovations might be a better word in the C&V Forum if talking hardware trends.

The trend away from sexy ladies in bikes ads, that one kinda pisses me off. But I fully recognize the social trends required by most companies to avoid unnecessary/unwanted controversy.
Dang, I was so distracted by her ankle, or what I imagine her ankle looks like..., that I overlooked that she was laughing at the poor guy with the broken chain while she pedaled onwards on her shaft-drive bike. Another example of technical improvements, or at least a technical option!
Plus, you don't get chain lube on your bloomers.

Shaft-drive bikes were an interesting idea and did solve one or two problems. Still, most folks said "meh" and found the chain to be adequate or better.
People still get inspired to replace the chain, though, with the latest innovation being the belt drive. Most folks still say "meh" and stick with chains, but there is a market niche for a drivetrain that won't get lube on your bloomers.

I suppose that innovations for the sake of marketing (i.e. that newest additional cog on your cassette) are different from ones that are trying to satisfy a real consumer need, so most of us will find new tech that we can use now and then, but I like to imagine that most of us outgrow the urge to buy whatever is the newest and shiniest gadget just because it is the newest and shiniest.

Steve in Peoria
(I seem to go for the oldest and shiniest)

Likes For steelbikeguy: