Old 07-12-21, 11:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Don't get a new bike yet, ride the route a bunch of times to get a feel for what kind of bike does the job best.

Do one day a week by car, pre-position clothing for the week, especially shoes, you don't want to be carrying heavy shoes. If you need to carry stuff and cannot easily install a rear rack and panniers (best solution), look at front and rear bags designed for bike packing. Having stuff in a backpack sucks.

To shorten the time, do a park and ride, find someplace partway where you can safely leave a car, ride from there.

Is the car safe in the parking lot at work overnight ?. My commute is 27 m (44 km) one way. I have a secure parking lot so I often leave the car overnight, bike home, then am up to ride at daybreak for the ride in. I love this commute.

Use whatever bike you have, put on the biggest tires that'll fit, use less air and make it a comfy ride. 32mm tires at 70psi will not make your commute slower. Traffic and lights will do that well enough.

Go out of your way to use bike paths whenever possible. They are safer. One thing about working an 8 hr. day, then hopping on a bike for the commute is you will be tired and possibly not paying as much attention as you should. That's when accidents happen. Also be aware that over time, riding the same roads and routes every day can make you complacent and less attentive to whats going on around you. Maybe mix up the route is possible

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-12-21 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For Steve B.: