View Single Post
Old 01-23-22, 05:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Finally, it's nice to know if we AREN'T getting hit on such infrastructure, then there isn't any evidence it's good for us.

-mr. bill
You multiquoted, so I'm not sure if that snarky comment was aimed at me, but if you follow the links in the OP sources, you will see that there's evidence for a 45% reduction in the chances of collisions between motor vehicles when this arrangement is put in, but that there was insufficient data to make any calculations for motor vehicle vs. pedestrian or cyclist crashes, but that countries that have it don't report a problem with this. That lack of data is completely consistent with both no benefit or a benefit to cyclists depending on if these were extremely low risk roads for cyclists prior to conversion. Given that they're recommending these for roads that are very low-traffic, low speed limit, level and straight, it's completely plausible that we would be extremely unlikely to get hit on such a road either way, so putting in these dotted lines really doesn't affect us either way. I also think if they do start installing this on inappropriate roads (too winding, for example), it could be possible that it makes drivers safer at the expense of safety to cyclists. Nobody appears to be recommending this, but I don't know if someone facing political pressure to make a one-way street two-way would glom onto this inappropriately. That might be farfetched, but since there's almost none of these in the U.S., I'm not sure how this might play out if the concept becomes popular.