View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 01:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I'll occasionally slowly and very cautiously filter up at a walking type speed if I believe the road after the intersection is going to be wide enough for subsequent re-passing to be trivial, or if it looks like most of the queued up drivers are going to go a different direction at the intersection than I plan to.

But I'm much less likely to do it if I suspect that we're then going to be sharing the same narrow bit of a road where finding a safe opportunity for them to pass is going to be tricky.

It's been literally decades since I routinely biked a traditional rush hour commute though, so having a lot of drivers who want to do the same thing I do isn't a frequent occurrence. If there's going to be an infinite flow of cars regardless, filtering up or not would make little difference to the amount of passes one would experience after the intersection. Though playing tag with literally the same people may grate (the time I really remember that, it was a city bus I kept having to pass on the traffic side at its stops, only to have it re-pass me just before its next one...)