richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Retinal Detachment Risk due to Gravel Riding

Hello Everyone,

I want to ask anyone input here related to the risk of retinal detachment caused by the constant vibration in gravel riding (especially gravel grinding races/events). I realize this topic is very specific and might not get many answers.

A bit of a background. My right eye retina detached about 10 years back because of trauma (long story). About 2 years ago, the vitreous gel in my retina started to shift and to move, a natural condition called PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) that affects people above 45 years old. The condition is usually non-sight-threatening but occasionally affects vision more permanently in the event of complication, such as retinal detachment (when the gel is too sticky and pulling the retina too hard causing it to detach). At this point in time, my PVD has not fully completed yet.

Does anyone know any retinal detachment incident caused by gravel riding? or maybe have experienced it themselves?

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while, but haven't found the right group for it.

Thanks,
Richard