Old 04-29-22, 09:09 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Three factors. Am extremely myopic which is already a risk factor which contributed to so many floaters my vision was compromised. Had a surgical procedure which removed the fluid inside my eye along with the floaters, replaced with saline. The result was crystal clear vision, but a risk for detachment in a small percentage of the population. Another risk of the fluid swap is the premature development of cataracts. And yes it started at age 55, 8 years after the procedure. So I had the cataract removed and replaced with a new lense, which is yet another risk factor of detachment. About 1 year after the cataract procedure - bingo! So can’t pinpoint the exact cause, it was probably a combination of factors. It was not caused by mtn biking because I was on a business trip for a week when it occurred.

The scary part was when the retina 3/4 detached and looking through that eye was like through a burlap sack. Could only see vague shapes and bright lights. When I flew home I immediately saw my optometrist who just about flipped out when he saw my eye and personally called the retina center and sent me over the next day for emergency surgery. Lying face down for two weeks with a bubble in my eye was no picnic but had books on tape and rented a chair where I could hang my head down with a mirror down below which allowed me to watch TV and movies.
Damn