Old 06-04-22, 08:26 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That may be how you think of speed wobble, but the general term refers to the frame going into resonance like happened to the OP. This has been discussed at great length in the research. The resonance can be triggered by all sorts of things. Some bikes resonate easily, and some never do. The on-ride fix is to clamp the top tube with the knees. It changes the resonant frequency of the bike. It was VERY unlikely that a slightly out of true front wheel or a new tire was the fix for this.
My thoughts exactly. I have worse wheel condition than the OP.

The only time I ever had wheel wobble when I was hauling a heavy load and I can feel the frame flexing. I suppose the frame flexing can trigger the resonance, w/e and I think it's the side-to-side flex that triggers wobble. In addition to squeezing the top tube with the knees another widely known way to prevent or stop wheel wobble is shift your weight to the front. Another thing is to lower your CoG. Drop yourself down and get stable and aero too.

I think for big riders, the frame would be flexing quite a bit. For those who are dying to find a reason to buy another bike, then buying a bike with stiffer frame design would be a good reason. Disc brake bikes tends to be built with stiffer frame, particularly the fork. And then Thru-axles reduce flexing between the axle and the frame or fork. If tight on budget, then practice hunching down on fast descents and possibly losing weight.