View Single Post
Old 06-15-22, 05:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I tend to have a different muscle soreness after cycling than running. Which is puzzling to me as I don't have any soreness from this ride. Just a very low energy level. But after thinking of it, while I prefer to solo cycle, I enjoy a running partner. I'm hoping that my partner's absence is simply creating a little low motivation.
I have done many, many multiday events where you ride thru the night or day after day after day with some sleep at night. I have researched fatigue as it relates to endurance events and there is not much good research and there is a lot of opinions. 100 miles is not very far, so, maybe you just have a small viral infection or something. It sound like you had reasonable training to take the 100 miler on. If we were to hook some electrodes up to your legs (say VL), the contraction force would be normal. The nervous system balance gets skewed. That is why the old TdF racers took amphetamines. If the problem is just some soreness, some easy rides should clear that up. In terms of what prepares one for longer rides, I tend to listen to Alan Couzens, Iñigo San Millán, Phil Maffetone, Seiler, Howard Luks, etc. and do very little HIIT with lots of volume just at VT1 or a HR of 115-120 and 220-250 watts rarely going to threshold for any extended period of time. My guess is you should take it easy for a few days and do some easy rides, it won't hurt your training to rest a little.