View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 08:09 AM
poeli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Hi poeli, i have a similar commute, how long have you been doing it ?
My commute is 44 km long, and in the beginning it took me 2h30 (3h - 3h30 on my way back home) to reach my destination but after 4 years i finally got that time down to 1h45 (both ways).
These are the things to keep in mind :
  1. . Breathing: the most important aspect, you have to consciously breathe, all the time, otherwise you get lost in your thoughts and emotions and forget to oxygenate properly your muscles and later you wonder why you are so slow. Breathing is the most important technique you will have to master.
  2. . Always start your commute slow. As slow as possible, don't rush in the beginning otherwise your whole commute will be a hell, you will be tired and it won't go away.
  3. . Never eat before your commute, always start fasted. Start eating only after half an hour or so. Staying fasted the whole day is great too, and you won't get tired on your way back. The caveat is that the next day you'll be very tired. So fast only when you can rest the next day. Riding fasted will improve your ability to burn fat, and that's a great fuel for long sustained effort.
  4. . Keep in mind that your bike fit is not static, your body does adapt over time and you will always discover that some tuning will improve your riding confort. Make it a habit.
  5. . Wear only cycling clothes on the bike.
  6. . Not drinking enough water will make you tire fast, so always drink enough water.
  7. . Don't overeat.
superb advice! Been doing it for one year now.