Old 10-13-21, 04:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I already take most of those supplements, or use the ingredients in cooking.

Some work for me, measurable through lab tests -- vitamin D, calcium and iron, which I've needed after thyroid cancer and osteopenia and anemia. Over the course of a year my lab results improved.

Others have a noticeable sensation soon after consuming them: niacin; bee propolis and echinacea for sinuses (I'm surprised those work for me because I was skeptical when my ENT doc suggested them for my chronic sinus inflammation); bromelain (from pineapples, mostly the stems and leaves) for digestion and respiratory inflammation (bromelain may also help with the cytokine storm associated with COVID, although research isn't complete); kratom and CBD for chronic pain from various injuries; ecdysterone, a non-steroidal anabolic agent found in some greens, roots and the exoskeletons of some bugs and shellfish (sports regulatory agencies are considering whether to regulate or ban ecdysterone, but no determinations yet).

But most supplements, vitamins and minerals have no immediate effect. Over time we can only guess at whether they do anything useful. Ashwagandha was like that for me. Tried it for a month, didn't notice any consistent effects. Same with stuff recommended for joint health -- shark cartilage, chondroitin, etc.

One advantage to trying individual supplements is it's easier to decide whether it works for you. For example, taking a separate niacin supplement has the benefit of an unmistakable sensation for most folks -- reddish skin flushing and tingling for about 15 minutes. When niacin is combined with other supplements, it's likely that some users attribute that sensation to the entire special supplement "doing something."

Bulk Supplements (that's the name of the company) is a good source for affordable individually packaged supplements. There are a few things they don't carry, so I buy those elsewhere.

I'll try anything once. But there are very few supplements I'll purchase a second time since they have no noticeable effect.